Focus one news artist spotlight
What got you into making music?
1. While growing up a Gen. X’er hanging out doing the things we use to do in my town, with partnas of mine. We’d be on one and start to free style off a Pac, Brotha Lynch…etc song. We’d tried to covertly go harder than each other trying to say something vicious. Always figured I’d eventually start recording it though. Had plenty of time to write due to an unforeseen happenstance, so I have plenty of songs.
What has been your best experience musically so far?
2. I’d have to say learning the ins and outs of the biz aspect. Also, getting to say whatever my mind contemplates on track to beat.
What current projects do you have available ?
3. I stay moving, shaking, and grinding, so I always have something in the works, but what’s currently available is my independently pushed album(s)/ Ep(s)…’Genesis An Introduction’ album ‘Prison Letters 13 Years a Slave,’ album. Ep shelf title ‘Damuaskari’ and a few singles. Just about all of it is available on either Soundcloud, Spotify, iTunes, etc… Where digital music is streamed and sold.
What shows have you done recently?
4. As far as shows go. Not really my thing. I know doing what I’m doing I should factor that in, but it’s just hasn’t been a priority right away nor have I really felt that, that’s what the people want from me just yet. So baby steps
What makes you standout as an artist?
5. Good question. Well, for one I’m not pigeonholed, as an artist. I don’t try to fit a preconceived notion of one. I’m just me doing, being, and speaking as me. If you feel me you feel me, and if you don’t you don’t. That’s how I look at it. I just speak the truth about life and how I’ve seen and or still see it. Some of my music is relatable and the other, you’ve just haven’t experienced it yet. Somewhere down the line it’s just going to hit you, and you’re going to be like, “Damn!, he really got bars.
What are you up coming big moves to mention?
6. Like I was saying, always moving, because my hustle is just not as an “artist”, but I wear many hats. I’m an independent label. Do have a video dropping in the near future for the record ‘Like What’! from the compilation, and it’s dropping mid-July on the album ‘American Muslim’ my next Ep.
Where can people find your music (links)?
7. The simplest answer I can give is, Just Google me. I don’t have’em posted as I should, but they soon will be on my Instagram and YouTube pages and wherever else people would like them
What’s your social media handles?
8. @damuaskaripreacher (D. askari Preacher) @soitwaswrittenrecords
Anything else you want to tell us about yourself as an Artist?
9. Just, Thank you to all those that support. Keep doing so, and sharing is caring. Share me with all your friends and family. Also, to those that don’t support, You Will! Mojo Upendu